Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Heavy D's Got the Wig Out


I grew up in Elmwood. Hip hop was played on the regular by natives who sat on their stoops with Biggie, Mobb Deep, Lost Boyz and Das EFX playing out of their ghettoblasters. Fortunately, I was the only white nine year old within a thirteen block radius so I got to hang out with them on the stoops and on occasion borrow their CD's and tapes.
Then one time someone borrowed me Heavy D and the Boyz album "Blue Funk". I was blown away. I hadn't heard anything like it. I bugged right the fuck out. The smooth jazzy beats mixed with Heavy D's deep intoxicating voice to this day, blow me away. In all honesty, anything Heavy D has done is exceptional, but "Blue Funk" is by far my favorite. When you have free time, throw in this album, sit back and light up a nice spliff. I guarantee you will have the best high of your life. Unless you do heroine. Which is almost as cool, if not cooler.
Heavy D and The Boyz:
5 Stars
Heroine:
Twice as many stars than the tracks on your arms
-TJ

No comments:

Post a Comment